Mohave Power Station
The Mohave Power Station, commissioned in 1971, was a familiar landmark in Laughlin for several decades. The generating plant was a 1580 megawatt coal-fired plant that was operated by Southern California Edison; it was jointly owned by So. Ca. Edision, LADWP, Nevada Power and the Salt River Project. It was the only plant in the United States to receive its coal from a coal-slurry pipeline. The pipeline was 275 miles long and connected the generating plant to Peabody Energy Black Mesa Mine in Kayenta, AZ. The plant was shut down on Decembre 31, 2005 for several reasons: one due to an environmental lawsuit to pollution it caused in the Grand Canyon. In 2009, So. Cal. Edision announced it was dismantling the plant. On March 11, 2011, the 500-foot tall exhaust stack was taken down by explosives.
Back to top